Bus Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving a city bus, school bus, Greyhound, private line, tour bus, or charter bus, contact an experienced bus accident attorneys at Aronova & Associates right away to explore your grounds for a legal claim. One or more parties may be legally liable for your losses. Injured or deceased individuals and their family members can receive financial compensation to cover:
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- Loss of income
- Disability-related expenses
- Funeral proceedings
- Emotional pain and suffering
In New York State, victims have up to three years to file a personal injury lawsuit.
School bus accidents
School bus accidents are particularly worrisome, as these vehicles are entrusted to ferry our most precious cargo: our children. Fortunately, fatalities are rare in school bus crashes.
Common causes of school bus injuries include:
- Slip and falls getting on or off the bus
- Being jostled when the bus comes to an abrupt stop
Common school bus injuries range from lacerations to broken bones, and most do not require hospitalization. Of course, statistics matter very little when your child is the one who ends up with a debilitating injury. Having a school bus accident lawyer on your side who understands Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and how to prove liability in a school bus case is critical when it comes to determining a fair settlement amount.
City bus accidents
Over 2.6 million people ride with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Fatal city bus accidents have skyrocketed within the last decade, according to data collected by the NY Post. In 2013, 10 people were killed in city bus collisions – a 25 percent increase from the previous year. The eight people killed in 2012 represented a 50 percent increase from 2011. There’s no mistaking the upward trend.
Common causes of New York City bus accidents include:
- Failure to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk
- Drowsy, DUI, or distracted driving
- Drunk or reckless drivers cutting off or ramming the bus
- Medical emergencies
- Speeding or running lights
- Poor training and hiring practices
In the State of New York, all buses carry no-fault insurance that will pay up to $50,000 for medical bills and lost wages. However, medical bills for serious injuries often exceed this amount. If you are injured in a city bus crash, don’t wait for the insurance company to give you a low-ball offer — contact Aronova & Associates right away to discuss your options and expedite the process of receiving fair monetary compensation.
Private line or Greyhound bus accidents
Private charter bus companies involved in accidents often have troubled histories that only come to light after someone is killed. In September 2017, three people were killed and 15 were injured when a speeding Dahlia tour bus ran a red light and plowed into an MTA bus in Queens. The charter bus driver had been fired by the MTA in 2015 following a DUI arrest, but was re-hired by Dahlia. Federal records show multiple safety violations by Dahlia drivers.
There are numerous stories of NYC area riders injured or killed in Greyhound bus accidents:
- Five people died and more than 30 were injured with cuts, bruises, internal injuries, and fractures in a Greyhound rollover accident traveling from NYC to Montreal in August 2006.
- One woman was killed and four critically injured when a Greyhound bus traveling from NYC to Pennsylvania hit a tractor trailer. Dozens more were treated at area hospitals in October 2013.
- In August 2011, a Greyhound bus driver lost control of the vehicle in the passing lane on his way to St. Louis, causing the bus to careen off the highway and up on an embankment, before landing on its side, sending 14 people to the hospital.
While we cannot guarantee a particular outcome, it is not uncommon to see these cases fetch a high amount in court, particularly if injuries are severe. For instance, a 45-year-old Cleveland music studio owner received $23 million in compensatory damages and over $4 million in punitive damages after a Greyhound bus driver fell asleep and crashed into a tractor trailer. The victim lost his right leg and underwent over 30 surgeries to repair a hole in his heart, torn shoulder muscles, and crushed foot, pelvis, and arm bones. It was uncovered that Greyhound routinely failed to enforce a law requiring drivers to stop for rest every 150 miles.
Get a free case review from a bus accident lawyer in NYC & Long Island
Aronova & Associates specializes in personal injury lawsuits involving school buses, city buses, Greyhound buses, and private charter buses. Many times people are unsure of the circumstances surrounding their accidents, but our skilled team has the ability to conduct a thorough investigation and identify all liable parties. We will get the necessary records, reports and documents needed to prove your case. If necessary, we retain expert financial analysts and medical professionals who will testify on your behalf.
Contact a New York City & Long Island bus accident lawyer at Aronova & Associates for a free case review. You owe us nothing unless we win your case!
Additional Bus Accident Lawsuit Resources:
- NHTSA – School Bus Safety, https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/school-bus-safety
- USA Today – School Bus Safety Statistics, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/15/school-bus-safety-statistics/72318198/
- NBC News – School Bus Injuries Much Higher Than Thought, http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15581273/ns/health-childrens_health/t/school-bus-injuries-much-higher-thought/#.Wly1XainHIV
- NY Post – Fatal NYC Bus Crashes Skyrocket, https://nypost.com/2014/03/17/fatal-nyc-bus-crashes-skyrocket/
- NBC New York –NTSB Investigation, https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Bus-Crash-Queens-Flushing-DUI-Driver-NTSB-Investigation-MTA-Death-Injuries-445740053.html
- NY Times – Deaths and Injuries in Greyhound Accident, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/29/nyregion/29bus.html
- CBS Local- Greyhound Bus From NYC Crashes in PA, http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/greyhound-bus-from-nyc-crashes-in-pa-kills-1-injures-dozens/
- NY Post – 14 Hurt When Greyhound Bus From NY Crashes, https://nypost.com/2011/08/13/14-hurt-when-greyhound-bus-from-ny-crashes/